Monday, October 1, 2012

Compulsory Heterosexuality & Lesbian Existence...I think?

I had a really, really, ridiculously hard time with this article.
I’m still not sure that I completely understand it.
I’m hoping class this week will help clarify some things for me BUT for now I’m just going to give it my best shot and see what happens!

 

From what I understand (or at least I think I understand) is that Rich is defining compulsory heterosexuality as being what society demands; by that I mean that society encourages/persuades us to be heterosexual. Because of the restraints placed on those who identify as anything other than heterosexual and the impact society has on our decisions, we feel it is our duty to identify as heterosexual in order to not be cast out of society and be considered “different.”  Identifying as something other heterosexual is considered to be outside of the cultural norm which unfortunately leads people to believe and think that it is wrong to be attracted to members of the same sex.

 

Does that make sense?  Hopefully I’m on the right track!

 

As for Lesbian Existence, I took it that Rich was trying to make the point that lesbians are not treated as or considered to be equal in society.  Because of this, those identifying as lesbians have become more fearful of coming out and being who they are.

 

 

 

SIDENOTE….I feel completely UNconfident in this post haha

3 comments:

  1. I think you totally got the gist of it. Great start!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think we all had a hard time with this reading be when we went over it in class it turned out not to be so difficult. maybe this reading was slightly too difficult in comparison to the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had I really hard time with this piece as well. But your post was really easy to read and made it more understandable.

    ReplyDelete